Some time ago I had to reinstall a deb based system, which meant installing the packages and configure them.
During the configuration I had to rethink how the system was originally configured, without having a proper backup of the system. Some of issues where that the backup contained some configuration files, but files referenced where not included.
To overcome this problem I started creating a small piece of code (and placed it on github) which implements the following idea:
- make a listing of all package files installed
- for every package file check if the configuration files are changed in relation to the packager provided ones
- for some special packages check the configuration files and include any referenced locations
- Combine the above information to a ‘restore’ script. This script will contain all information to reinstall the packages and configuration, based on this information. The only requirement is a basic bootable (compatible) OS installation.
- Optionally this can be used to update a systtem to a newer version, using a clean installation.
For those interested, have a peek at the work-in-progress on github: